M30W Programming Forum

M30W is a text-based version of Scratch

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This is the development forum for M30W (also known as Emerald, do not confuse with Emerald Programming Language).
Our Non-development forums are available here

M30W(Emerald) 0.3 is out! (Download) Requires Python 2.6 or higher.
Opal 0.3(A better command line M30W) is out! (Download) Requires Python 2.6 or higher.
M30W 0.3.6 GUI barebones (Download) Requires Python 2.6 or higher and wxPython
Diamond-2 RED2 GUI Barebones (Fancy M30W editor) s out! (Download) Requires .NET Framework 3.5 or higher, does not require Python
M30W++ GUI barebones (Java M30W) Alpha 1 is out! (Download) Requires Java.

Gershmer.net, our hosting, will close in February 2011. We have not fully decided what to do with our hosting after that, but we will tell you when we decide.

Adverts

Adverts

#51 2010-11-10 21:02:54

hidas
M30W Team
Website

Re: M30W 0.3.9 Dev Thread

markyparky56 wrote:

hidas wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

Um... what? Did you change something?

What did I change?

*nods slowly* Did you change something?

I changed, uh, the top-level domain for Google!!!!!!
yeah... ;)

Heh heh heh (Semi-evil laugh)

2010-11-10 21:02:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#52 2010-11-11 16:45:50

markyparky56
Hi...
Website

hidas wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

hidas wrote:

What did I change?

*nods slowly* Did you change something?

I changed, uh, the top-level domain for Google!!!!!!
yeah... ;)

In english that means what?

Anyway! Lets get working on making it priject capable.

I am A M30Wr.
I always get the last word.

#53 2010-11-21 18:10:31

floppy_gunk
I Am Your Father.
Website

I'ma experimenting with other python stuff to see if there's something that's easier to use.

Big Bob bites black bugs, but black bugs bite Big Bob back.

#54 2010-11-21 19:38:06

hidas
M30W Team
Website

Before we start adding more stuff we need to address some major design considerations. First, is the code for each sprite going to iterate over and over, is the user going to have to divide it into functions and a main() like C, or are we going to allow them to make their own loops?

Two. I'm adding variable, arithmetic, and some other stuff. We need a database of language features and syntax. We need to have some documentation in the interpreter and scriptrunner instance so that the members of the team that don't know that much python can add language features.

Three. I've started work on a Sprite class that will allow any number of sprites at one time. How are we going to implement this? Are we going to allow the user to make instances on-the-fly, only when they click a "New Sprite" button, or something else?

(If you read this entire thing you're awesome.) :cool:

#55 2010-12-02 13:05:01

markyparky56
Hi...
Website

hidas wrote:

Before we start adding more stuff we need to address some major design considerations. First, is the code for each sprite going to iterate over and over, is the user going to have to divide it into functions and a main() like C, or are we going to allow them to make their own loops?

Two. I'm adding variable, arithmetic, and some other stuff. We need a database of language features and syntax. We need to have some documentation in the interpreter and scriptrunner instance so that the members of the team that don't know that much python can add language features.

Three. I've started work on a Sprite class that will allow any number of sprites at one time. How are we going to implement this? Are we going to allow the user to make instances on-the-fly, only when they click a "New Sprite" button, or something else?

I'm awesome...

Ontopic:
I think we were going to do it a bit like basic, though I would dearly love it to be more structured, though... if we did it like like one of the ideas we had a long time again, have different levels of complexity. Like:
(These a just names made up right now, can't remember the real ones)
M30WBasic/SmallM30W - for real beginners
M30W - The main one
M30W++ - Maybe this could be like the M30W with C-style structuring?
Diamond (maybe a more M30Wy like name in need of...) - M30W.NET maybe... or Visual M30W.

That way we can have a series of steps up to programming in more complexity but with the simple text style of M30W.

I agree with the need to document the language and make it easier for people with less knowledge of Python (Like me).

There's two sides, if we do it like how I said before with different levels, then we could have M30WBasic/SmallM30W and M30W have a make sprite button, and M30W++ and Diamond with both?

Don't forget that we need to be able to have M30W Capable of making Projects, so the sprites aren't part of the background like the current one.

I am A M30Wr.

#56 2010-12-03 14:11:56

hidas
M30W Team
Website

markyparky56 wrote:

hidas wrote:

I'm awesome...

Ontopic:
I think we were going to do it a bit like basic, though I would dearly love it to be more structured, though... if we did it like like one of the ideas we had a long time again, have different levels of complexity. Like:
M30W - The main one
Diamond (maybe a more M30Wy like name in need of...) - M30W.NET maybe... or Visual M30W.

That way we can have a series of steps up to programming in more complexity but with the simple text style of M30W.

I agree with the need to document the language and make it easier for people with less knowledge of Python (Like me).

There's two sides, if we do it like how I said before with different levels, then we could have M30WBasic/SmallM30W and M30W have a make sprite button, and M30W++ and Diamond with both?

Don't forget that we need to be able to have M30W Capable of making Projects, so the sprites aren't part of the background like the current one.

Perhaps:

M3OW - with many supported paradigms. For example, say I was a beginning M3OW user and I wanted to write a program to see what M3OW could do:

make myname as 'Robert'
say myname
myname as 'Robert Fisher'
say myname
ask "What's your name? "
myname as <answer>
say "Your name is: ", myname

This program would execute once and then shut down. For more advanced users, we could have support for functional and object-oriented. They could optionally specify a run() function for the scriptrunner to call.

block run(){

blueprint Monkey{
Monkey pos as [40 50]

Monkey block move(pos){
Monkey pos as pos
  }
}
make monkey from Monkey
ask "Where do you want to go? "
monkey move(<answer>)
}

#57 2010-12-03 14:44:09

hidas
M30W Team
Website

Brilliant article which everyone should read:
http://memphis.compilertools.net/interpreter.html

#58 2010-12-03 17:26:54

markyparky56
Hi...
Website

hidas wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

hidas wrote:

I'm awesome...

Ontopic:
M30W - The main one

Perhaps:

M3OW - with many supported paradigms. For example, say I was a beginning M3OW user and I wanted to write a program to see what M3OW could do:

make myname as 'Robert'
say myname
myname as 'Robert Fisher'
say myname
ask "What's your name? "
myname as <answer>
say "Your name is: ", myname

This program would execute once and then shut down. For more advanced users, we could have support for functional and object-oriented. They could optionally specify a run() function for the scriptrunner to call.

block run(){

blueprint Monkey{
Monkey pos as [40 50]

Monkey block move(pos){
Monkey pos as pos
  }
}
make monkey from Monkey
ask "Where do you want to go? "
monkey move(<answer>)
}

I think thats still too advanced for beginners to take up, Plus the GUI we have is based on sprites, and we started this to make a text-based Scratch like program, so programing in plain text should be for more advanced users.

How about we have each sprite has their own seperate scripts, sort of like scopes. And they can call other sprites methods/subscripts if they have defined it in said sprite.

Example:

Sprite_one:

Code:

public say(string [string])
{
say string
}

Sprite_two

Code:

main()
{
ask "what do you want the other sprite to say?"
Sprite_one.say(Sprite_two.answer)
}

Something like that, its no official code though.

I am A M30Wr.

#59 2010-12-09 16:50:53

markyparky56
Hi...
Website

wakey!! :D

I am A M30Wr.

#60 2010-12-10 02:23:01

hidas
M30W Team
Website

Heh. This forum feels like a ghost town.

Anyway, back on topic. (I'm a drill sergeant.)

That's a pretty good idea.
I really think that being able to optionally specify how you want the interpreter to run your program would make M30W much more appealing.
What if the end user wants to make recursive functions? He writes a program that asks for a position, but it only runs once. That's not very fun, (unless you have loops, which we definitely should implement as soon as we have variables)

#61 2010-12-10 13:07:03

markyparky56
Hi...
Website

hidas wrote:

Heh. This forum feels like a ghost town.

Anyway, back on topic. (I'm a drill sergeant.)

That's a pretty good idea.
I really think that being able to optionally specify how you want the interpreter to run your program would make M30W much more appealing.
What if the end user wants to make recursive functions? He writes a program that asks for a position, but it only runs once. That's not very fun, (unless you have loops, which we definitely should implement as soon as we have variables)

We could have a Main() function, or script start points, and have more than one. But that would probably make it really slow.

I am A M30Wr.

#62 2010-12-10 15:20:05

hidas
M30W Team
Website

The background could hold the main() function, and the main() calls sprite functions.
Or you could have a certain universal sprite to hold the main().

It would be almost impossible to have 1 interpreter running much code, all from different sprites at one time without messing up.

#63 2010-12-10 17:12:31

markyparky56
Hi...
Website

hidas wrote:

The background could hold the main() function, and the main() calls sprite functions.
Or you could have a certain universal sprite to hold the main().

It would be almost impossible to have 1 interpreter running much code, all from different sprites at one time without messing up.

Well if we have it work like Visual Studio, it reads all code then executes it, it would work but take longer to run.

I am A M30Wr.

#64 2010-12-10 23:10:17

hidas
M30W Team
Website

Or Scratch, where it executes all code from each sprite one at a time.

#65 2010-12-11 21:07:18

markyparky56
Hi...
Website

hidas wrote:

Or Scratch, where it executes all code from each sprite one at a time.

Thats one reason why Scratch gets lag.

I am A M30Wr.

#66 2010-12-18 18:23:41

markyparky56
Hi...
Website

come on, wakey wakey people.

I am A M30Wr.

#67 2011-01-08 17:32:18

Gershmer
Admin
Website

I'm sort of awake.

In a good mood though, just brought my iPod touch 1G back from the dead.

http://card.ly/images/vcard-green-small.png

#68 2011-01-08 17:43:42

markyparky56
Hi...
Website

Gershmer wrote:

I'm sort of awake.

In a good mood though, just brought my iPod touch 1G back from the dead.

Where were you?!

I am A M30Wr.

#69 2011-02-22 19:22:58

hidas
M30W Team
Website

He died with his iPod Touch.....:D

#70 2011-02-23 16:10:12

markyparky56
Hi...
Website

hidas wrote:

He died with his iPod Touch.....:D

Welcome back to the land of the living! I've been here almost everyday... such a sad time... very lonely and borring...

I am A M30Wr.

#71 2011-03-05 16:00:55

hidas
M30W Team
Website

Perhaps you could strike up a conversation with that AdBot. :)

#72 2011-03-08 16:57:00

markyparky56
Hi...
Website

hidas wrote:

Perhaps you could strike up a conversation with that AdBot. :)

Adbot is turned off though...

I am A M30Wr.

Adverts

Board footer